Teachers’ Pension and Annuity Fund (TPAF) Information

Teach & Retire Program representatives and volunteers are not employed by the State of NJ nor school districts. This information is provided for your convenience. Click this link to visit the NJDPB website for the most updated information.

Enrollment Information

Retirement System Eligibility and Enrollment Information

Detailed information can be found here:

Transfer Information

Intrafund Transfers

An Intrafund Transfer (also known as a Report of Transfer) happens when you stop working for one employer and are hired by a new employer in a job that falls under the same retirement system. You continue to contribute to and earn service credit in the same account.

To be eligible for an Intrafund Transfer:

  • You must not have withdrawn from the TPAF; and
  • It must be less than two consecutive years since your last pension contribution; and
  • You must meet all the eligibility requirements of the TPAF with the new employer.

Tier-to-Tier Transfer

If there has been a break in service of more than two years since your last pension contribution, you cannot contribute to your prior TPAF account. An application will be submitted to enroll you in a new TPAF account under the membership tier in effect at the time you return to TPAF employment.

However, if you are vested in your prior, inactive TPAF account, you may be able to transfer your old account to your new one. This type of transfer is called a “Tier-to-Tier Transfer.” The member must submit a Tier-to-Tier Transfer Form at the time of enrollment. It is important to note that by submitting a Tier-to-Tier Transfer, you waive all rights to retirement benefits under the original account.

Additional rules and restrictions apply to Intrafund Transfers.

See the TPAF Guidebook for detailed information.

Intrafund Transfer Forms

Interfund Transfers

An Interfund Transferhappens when you start a new job that falls under a different retirement system. This can be with the same employer or a new one. Your contributions and service credit are transferred from the former retirement system to the new one.

To be eligible for an Interfund Transfer:

  • You must not have withdrawn from the retirement system; and
  • It must be less than two consecutive years since your last pension contribution; and
  • You must meet all the eligibility requirements for the new retirement system with the new job; and
  • You must complete the Application for Interfund Transfer within 30 days of the date you meet the eligibility requirements for the new retirement system.

Additional rules and restrictions apply to Interfund Transfers.

See the retirement system Member Guidebooks for detailed information.

Purchase of Service Credit

Since your retirement allowance is based partly on the amount of service credit posted to your account at the time you retire, purchasing additional service credit – if you are eligible to do so – may increase your pension amount or let you retire sooner.

Only active members of the retirement system are permitted to purchase service credit. Members on a leave of absence must return to active employment before they can request to purchase service credit.

Purchase Estimates

An online Purchase Estimate Calculator is available through MBOS

To hear a Purchase Estimate over the phone, call the Automated Information System at (609) 292-7524.

Estimates are based on your current posted salary. However, when the actual purchase cost is calculated by the NJDBP, your highestpensionable salary will be used.

Applying to purchase service credit

You must apply to purchase service credit through MBOS

Note: Paper Applications to Purchase Service Credit are only accepted for:

  • Members requesting the purchase of Military Service after Enrollment under USERRA (for additional information, see Military Service after Enrollment and USERRA); or
  • Members requesting the purchase of Leave of Absence for Union Representation. See Application to Purchase Service Credit for Union Representation for more information.
  • Members applying for a purchase fewer than 30 days before their retirement date or Board of Trustees approval date. The member must request a paper Purchase Application by e-mailing: pensions.nj@treas.nj.gov An application will be provided upon verification of the Board or retirement date status.

To learn more about purchasing service credit, see:

Purchasing Service Credit Fact Sheet


If you have ended your New Jersey public employment, are not planning to return, and are not eligible to retire, you may withdraw your pension contributions. To withdraw the balance in a lump sum, you must no longer be working in any covered position.

If you are a “multiple member,” you cannot withdraw until you have terminated all jobs covered by the pension fund. By law, if you are on a leave of absence granted by your employer, withdrawal is not allowed. If you have a Workers’ Compensation claim or litigation pending, or if you have been dismissed and you have an appeal pending, your application cannot be processed until we receive required information from your employer.

To withdraw, you must complete the Application for Withdrawal through MBOS. Paper withdrawal applications are not accepted.

Once you apply for withdrawal, your former employer will be contacted to complete the Employer‘s Certification for Withdrawal. Your withdrawal claim cannot be paid until your former employer has completed this form.

Group Life Insurance

Most members are covered by Group Life Insurance benefits.

Active employees — Group Life Insurance coverage may be of one or two types:

Noncontributory Group Life Insurance is provided by the employer through the retirement system. There is no cost to the member for coverage.

Contributory Group Life Insurance is coverage where the member pays a premium through payroll deductions.

Conversion – When you retire, go on a leave of absence, or terminate your employment, coverage ends 31 days after you stop working. You may be eligible to convert your coverage to an individual policy.

Group Life Insurance Conversion Calculator

Group Life Insurance publications

See your plan Guidebook for full details about Group Life Insurance.

Pension Loans

Account Quarterly Posting Dates

Paper Loan Applications are not accepted!

Members must submit loan requests through MBOS.

You can see your eligibility, the maximum amount you may borrow, and calculate various repayment options. Once you apply, you will receive confirmation that your Loan Application is received along with the date your loan check will be mailed.

For complete information about pension loans, see our Loans Fact Sheet or our Pensions Loan page


When considering retirement, there are steps that need to be considered before you apply. Find out what you need to know using our Retirement Guide

Schedule AppointmentContact Us

13 NJ & PA School Districts

Willingboro School District



Contact Us